The transmission on a car is one of the most important components in all vehicles. The transmission is the part of the car that sends power from your engine to the driveshaft and causes your vehicle’s wheels to turn. In other words, no transmission means no driving.
When you hear about a problem with a transmission, it may cause you to cringe because it can be incredibly costly and can cause your vehicle to be no longer drivable. There are a variety of reasons why a transmission experiences problems.
If you suspect transmission problems with your vehicle, bring it to Fulton’s Callaway Chrysler to let one of our experienced ASE-certified technicians help.
Waiting too long to get your transmission looked at can result in costly repairs down the road. But if you bring your car into an expert as soon as you notice a possible transmission malfunction, they may be able to fix the problem before it causes expensive or irreparable damage.
Top 4 Transmission Issues
Below are some of the most common issues that cause transmission problems:
- Solenoid problems – The solenoid is what actually controls the fluid to the transmission. One way to tell if it may be the solenoid is if your vehicle is slipping in and out of gear and you have already checked the fluid levels. If you see there are no fluid leaks, the next item to check is the solenoid. The solenoid can be damaged by electrical issues or insufficient fluid levels.
- Torque converter problems – Noises coming from the transmission when you are putting your car into gear may mean torque converter issues. A torque converter is only in automatic vehicles and serves virtually the same purpose as a manual transmission’s clutch. It connects and disconnects the transmission and the engine. A worn or damaged needle bearing is generally what causes the problem in torque converters.
- Leaks and low fluid levels – This is by far the most common form of a transmission problem. Low levels of transmission fluid are usually caused by leaks. The transmission and driveshaft seals can become faulty and leaky. Often, it is the gaskets that are in need of replacing.
- Clutch problems – The clutch is actually located within the torque converter. If your car shakes violently, this can be an indication of clutch problems. A sharp drop in your engine’s power ability as well as high heat levels in the transmission can often mean your clutch should be inspected. When a clutch jams, the solenoid can malfunction and the amount of transmission fluid in the torque converter might not be calculated correctly.
Signs of a Serious Problem
There are many signs that there could be a problem with your transmission:
- The gears seem to be slipping.
- You are unable to shift your car into a lower gear.
- Your transmission seems to be slipping very hard into a gear.
- Your RPM’s are increasing and you are not accelerating.
- Your check engine light comes on. (Additional reading: What is your Check Engine Light Trying to Tell You?)
If you are experiencing issues in your vehicle of any kind, stop by Callaway Chrysler and you will learn why so many people all over Jefferson City, Columbia, Fulton, Washington and greater Missouri choose Callaway Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for all of the auto service and shopping needs!